Deciding On The Best Bible Study For Depression
Depression is something that has touched all of us in one way or another. Living in this fallen world breeds depression. People are overworked, exhausted and feel that they can never catch up with the demands placed upon them.
The world has many “remedies” for depression such as counseling and medication, but, ultimately, only one thing is the real cure: God’s Word.
Many Bible studies would be helpful in dealing with depression, but I have chosen Killing Kryptonite by John Bevere because:
- It addresses the basics: the things that hinder us in our walk with Jesus.
- Its subtitle is: “Destroy What Steals Your Strength”. We can all use some of that!
- It is a relatively new study, published in 2017 by Messenger International.
Product description from CBD:
“Just like Superman, who can leap over any hurdle and defeat every foe, followers of Christ have the supernatural ability to conquer the challenges we face. But the problem for both Superman and us is there’s a kryptonite that steals our strength.
Of course, both Superman and kryptonite are fictional. But spiritual kryptonite is not. This study offers answers to why so many of us are unable to experience the divine strength that was evident among first-century Christians.”
Who is the Killing Kryptonite Bible Study best suited for?
Anyone who has ever felt hopeless or inadequate will benefit from this study. These are feelings that are very common, yet often constitute the beginnings of depression. We want to nip it in the bud.
Here is what Amazon states:
“What’s your kryptonite?
- For so many Christians, frustration and fatigue set in as they try time and again to get free from what holds them back.
- God never intended for it to be this way. He destined you to be victorious in every area of your life, and more than that, He gives you the power to overcome whatever comes against you.
- In his new book Killing Kryptonite, best-selling author John Bevere opens up about his own story, revealing key biblical truths that moved him from a life of struggle to a life of breakthrough.
- You can enjoy a life of intimacy and connection with God. You can have a vibrant, powerful faith that impacts the world around you. But first, you must face off with spiritual kryptonite.
- This book is not for the faint of heart. But if you’re ready to embrace a journey of radical transformation, this message is for you.
- Are you ready to kill your kryptonite and step into the life you were born for?”
What is included in the Killing Kryptonite Bible study?
Killing Kryptonite is available in several formats: (These are current Amazon prices as of this writing, September 2018.)
There is a Killing Kryptonite Kit ($55.99) which includes:
- 6 video sessions on 2 DVDs (30 minutes each)
- 6 audio sessions on 3 CDs (30 minutes each)
- Killing Kryptonitehardcover book (including discussion questions for group study)
|DVD 1||DVD 2|
|Lesson 1: Our Potential (22 min.)||Lesson 5: Knockoff Jesus (28 min.)|
|Lesson 2: The Power of One (26 min.)||Lesson 6: The Starting Place (21 min.)|
|Lesson 3: Kryptonite (24 min.)||Lesson 7: Truth, Tolerance & Love (23 min.)|
|Lesson 4: Modern Idolatry (21 min.)||Lesson 8: Killing Kryptonite (24 min.)|
What are some of the strengths of Killing Kryptonite, a Bible study for depression?
- John Bevere always cuts to the chase in his sermons, lectures and books. I believe he truly wants Christians to kick out the junk and live victorious lives in Christ. It takes some toughness to do so!
- He dealt with and conquered these issues in his own life before he attempted to share them with us. Let’s just say he thoroughly and intimately knows his material! He teaches these truths in a very up close and personal way.
- The fact that Killing Kryptonite is now a USA TODAY and Publisher’s Weekly bestseller tells us that it is needed by many people. All of us want victory over our own “Kryptonite”.
Are there any alternative Bible studies for depression to be considered?
One possible alternative to Killing Kryptonite could be
Although it does not include DVDs, it still could be a good choice. The themes are similar, but In the Middle of the Mess is not technically a “Bible Study”. Sheila Walsh has also written from her own experience with depression and her victory over it. She understands how difficult it can be to overcome because she has been there.
Here is what Amazon has to say about it:
“How do you turn your struggles into strengths? Beloved Bible teacher Sheila Walsh teaches readers how the daily spiritual practices of confession, a meditation on God’s Word, and prayer result in fresh freedom in Christ.
In her long-awaited new book, Sheila Walsh equips women with a practical method for connecting with God’s strength during struggles.
From daily frustrations that can feel like overwhelming obstacles to hard challenges that turn into rock-bottom crises, women will find the means to equip themselves for standing strong with God.
Using the spiritual applications of confession, prayer, and meditation on scripture to form a daily connection to Jesus, women will learn how to experience new joy as a child of God who is fully known, fully loved, and fully accepted.
In In the Middle of the Mess, Walsh reveals the hardened defenses that kept her from allowing God into her deepest hurts and shares how entering into a safe place with God and practicing this daily connection with Him have saved her from the devil’s prowling attacks.
Though we will never be completely “fixed” on earth, we are continually held by Jesus, whatever our circumstances.”
I am sure it is an excellent source for dealing with depression, however, it is geared specifically for women.
I still maintain that Killing Kryptonite is the absolute best Bible study for depression.
John Bevere, a bestselling and highly spiritual author, opens up about his own story, revealing key biblical truths that moved him from a life of struggle to a life of breakthrough.
We can enjoy a life of intimacy and connection with God. We can have a vibrant, powerful faith that impacts the world around us. But first, we must face off with spiritual kryptonite.
This book is not for the faint of heart. But if you’re ready to embrace a journey of radical transformation, this message is for you and for any group that desires to deal with depression and emerges victoriously.
The answers are always in Jesus. Bevere just helps us get to them!